The Arkansas Wetland Conservation Plan (PLAN) is a comprehensive planning document being developed by the Arkansas Multi-Agency Wetlands Planning Team (MAWPT) that combines wetland inventory information and state strategy recommendations to accomplish the following goals:
- Address wetland issues and concerns (i.e. mitigation, BMPs, public outreach, education, etc.);
- Identify priority areas for restoration, protection, and enhancement through individual Wetland Planning Area reports;
- Evaluate existing state agency resources, responsibilities, and wetland programs;
- Provide recommendations for plan implementation in a State Wetland Strategy.
MAWPT's two-pronged approach to developing the PLAN includes:
- State Wetland Strategy - Non-watershed specific evaluation of state-wide issues, objectives, institutional capacities, state resources, and recommended steps for implementation, monitoring, and evaluation of Arkansas Wetland Conservation Plan to meet both state-wide and watershed objectives; and
- Wetland Planning Area Reports - Identification and prioritization of emphasis areas within the watershed in order to focus voluntary wetland preservation, restoration, and/or enhancement efforts (maximizing the effectiveness of limited funding resources).